It is pretty common to get injured during sports as large amount of physical activities are involved. Some of the most common sport injuries are joint sprain, muscle strain and overuse syndrome.
- Sprain injury is the result of overstretching and tearing of ligaments, affecting joints most of the time
- Strain injury is the result of overstretching and tearing of muscle fiber or tendon
- Tendonitis is the inflammation of muscle or tendon due to overuse and repetitive movement
The major joints such as ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow and wrist joints are usually more susceptible to overuse injuries. Some examples of sports injuries include Achilles tendonitis, runner’s knee syndrome, shin splints, shoulder impingement, and tennis elbow.
On a side note, muscle soreness is not considered as sports injury as it is just a result from muscle tearing due to strenuous workout whereby the pain and stiffness last for about 24 to 72 hours and will eventually subside.
With suitable conditioning, proper warm-up, appropriate workout attire and footwear, strengthening of weakened muscles or muscle imbalance and correct techniques through physiotherapy, many sports related injuries could be avoided other than enabling athletes to return to sports with better performance and low risk of injury reoccurrence.
In addition to sports rehabilitation, Apple Physio+Rehab Centre provide functional assessment to all sport enthusiasts. We also provide real time on bike assessment and running gait analysis. A typical functional assessment sessions include:
- analyze movement
- improve functional and flexibility
- achieve injury-free sports
- plan better strategy for efficient and sustainable sport performance
- provide professional advice on all sport activities